Cors 2019-2020 Winter Heat! Melon Gum Hydroponic 1000w

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by Cor, Oct 5, 2019.

1. Cor

Cor Germinating
    Let Me Out

Hey guys,

First time doing a grow journal, so roll with me on this.

———————————————

So here's the breakdown;

Day 1

I was talking to a friend I see every now and then, and mentioned that I would eventually need to find clones for the winter. He goes to another room, comes back with a box with a beautiful gift!

4 healthy, super well rooted Melon Gum (Lavender x Bubble Gum) clones! I was in such a hurry to get them in the 6" Grodan rockwool cubes when I got home, I wanted to shelter the exposed roots from the light. I forgot to grab a picture of them before placing them in the medium. Sorry guys!

20191004_190450.jpg

I tend to soak my Grodan cubes for about 10 seconds in 5.9 - 6.0 pH adjusted water, before shaking the shit out of them to try to get most of the water back out of them.

Now, I wasn't expecting to get clones today, so I'm in a little bit of a ruffle, considering my main tent is currently in use - and a little full.

20191003_014226.jpg

Slapped them in my propagation tent in the area I keep my mothers, with a Bestva 1000w LED.

I usually run this LED with both Vegetation and Flower switches turned on, but given the short distance (about 3') between the light and the clones, I decided to run the light with just Vegetation on for now.

20191004_191846.jpg

This tent is brand new, hasn't been used yet and the setup hasn't really been completed. Upon putting the clones in, I realized that I had absolutely no ventilation. Fumbled around the stock, and found a piece of 4" ducting, and ran it from the top of the small tent to the bottom of the main.

20191004_191935.jpg

The negative pressure in the main is so high that I get a cool breeze going through the smaller one. Within a week, the clones will be moved into the main tent, under a 1000w (MH for veg, HPS for flower), in a cool tube, in a dripper hydroponic system. It's a ghetto system, McGyvered to shit, but it works for the couple of days that they're in here.

I use the complete line of Advanced Nutrients, with tap water, and I never even look at the pH when I mix. I tend to monitor it in the resevoir though.

20190816_173754.jpg

As far as ventilation goes, the main tent runs a 6" cool tube that has a 396 CFM blower, that vents into a dedicated 4" vent on the side of the house. This exit will probably be split to accommodate another 4" exit when I get a permanent ventilation solution for the propagation tent.

Thanks for following me on this great winter journey!

#1 Cor, Oct 5, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
    Trichs likes this.
  2. Bud

Bud Administrator
    Staff Member Let Me Out

Awesome, following! Few questions..

What strain(s) are hanging?
    The white tower is this a dehumidifier?

Cor likes this.
  3. Trichs

Trichs Germinating
    Let Me Out

Popcorn, beer, watching!

Cor likes this.
  4. Cor

Cor Germinating
    Let Me Out

Great to have both of you on board!

What is currently hanging is one of two Quebec Gold (M39 x Friesland) plants that were grown outdoor.

20190916_205534.jpg

One is drying in the main tent, and the other has been wet trimmed, and bagged for a fresh-freeze.

received_1203872039797957.jpeg

This one will eventually go through the extract workshop, to get transformed into bubble hash, and finally be pressed into live rosin.

20191009_072617.jpg

Don't mind the mess under the table - the black hydro resevoir and everything on it go into the main tent when the clones get moved over.

Hope I got you all the info you wanted. If you, or anyone else has any questions, feel free!

PS: Almost forgot - no, the white tower is not a dehumidifier. It is a tower fan, blowing into the corner of the tent. Temps are around 19.5°C and an RH of 50%.

#4 Cor, Oct 5, 2019
  5. Dradden

Dradden Germinating
    Let Me Out

Holy lollipops batman, beasts! Subscribed.

Cor likes this.
  6. Cor

Cor Germinating
    Let Me Out

Welcome abord! We're gonna have fun on this one!

Dradden likes this.
  7. Cor

Cor Germinating
    Let Me Out

Day 2

Went down this afternoon to give the girls a gulp of water for the first time since I put them in the cubes. I gave them a very small dose of 3 part base, some B vitamins, some enzymes for the roots and a little bit of a root cocktail.

20191006_182954.jpg

Not much change as of yet, but it'll soon start the snowball effect and I'll have a hard time keeping up.

Looking forward to transfering them to the main tent.

#7 Cor, Oct 6, 2019
    Bud likes this.
  8. Cor

Cor Germinating
    Let Me Out

Day 4

Went to check up on the girls.

The cubes were still wet so I had nothing to do, but snapped a quick picture for an update here. I feel like they're looking healthier overall, and I feel like there is new growth.

20191008_182110.jpg

Looking forward to moving them to the main tent under some real light, and start them on drip feeding!

Cheers!

#8 Cor, Oct 8, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2019 at 10:31 PM
    Trichs and Bud like this.
  9. Bud

Bud Administrator
    Staff Member Let Me Out

Yeah they look better and grew some, I have not seen this strain grow before, can't wait :D

Cor likes this.
  10. Cor

Cor Germinating
    Let Me Out

The same goes for me! We'll watch the evolution together.

Bud likes this.
  11. Cor

Cor Germinating
    Let Me Out

Day 8

Sorry for the lack of updates, I was in trim jail. Had to finally get the stuff drying jarred up so I could move the girls into their final tent.

Moved them into the 5x5 tent yesterday afternoon.

20191013_202826.jpg

I know the light is far left - and it drives me nuts. The tent was located elsewhere, and I noticed that I was short on ducting. Had to do what I could with what I had. But I'll be resolving this issue over the week.

As for the girls, they weren't particularly fond of the small tent, with the lack of airflow and intense lighting. I also fed too lightly over the past days, and had some deficiencies. Gave them a full strength feeding, with my personal secret weapon - Revive by Advanced Nutrients.

Also gave them some Revive and B52 as a foliar feed also, to get on top of this issue quickly.

So now that they are finally in the hydro system, no more manual feeding. They sit on a 40L resevoir, and are top fed. This system is a recirculating system, meaning all runoff from the rockwool cubes drains back into the resevoir. I personally think that less nutes are wasted than a drain to waste system. I can feed longer, without worry of dumping too many nutes down the drain. I also break the conventionality, and only change my resevoir once every 10 to 14 days, instead of the standard 7. I watch the PH, and top off with water with only my base, unless I have a deficiency. Then, I will top up with base + whatever they're lacking.

20191013_202833.jpg

They are only being fed for about a minute at a time, once a day for now. In later weeks of flowering, I sometimes end up at 10-12 minutes, 6 to 8 times a day.

Stay tuned!

#11 Cor, Oct 13, 2019 at 10:31 PM
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2019 at 8:21 AM
    Bud and Trichs like this.
  12. Trichs

Trichs Germinating
    Let Me Out

They are going to take off!

Cor likes this.
  13. Cor

Cor Germinating
    Let Me Out

I boost hard at this stage with Voodoo Juice, Tarantula and Piranha along with the sugars to feed the microbes. I aim at a thriving rootbase first.

The tendency is stagnant on top for a while, lots of work in the cube. Then, one day, the top just explodes. Works for me.

#13 Cor, Oct 14, 2019 at 4:18 PM
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2019 at 4:48 PM
  14. Bud

Bud Administrator
    Staff Member Let Me Out

Makes me almost want to shrink myself, hop in a cube and come over for dinner!

Cor likes this.
  15. Cor

Cor Germinating
    Let Me Out

My buddies call me "the chemist". I'm all about playing with the feeding schedule, but I get too much credit. The Advanced Nutrients line are simply amazing.

Trichs likes this.
  16. Trichs

Trichs Germinating
    Let Me Out

Something I need to delve into is making my own soil mixes and concocting organic teas, sprays etc for the plants. I used to be pretty good but forgot much of it, got a bit lazy I guess lol.

Cor likes this.
  17. Cor

Cor Germinating
    Let Me Out

I've never really fumbled with organics or super soil.

However, next spring, I am planning on trying a fairly new product on the market, called Stepwell Super Soil. Canadian made soil that contains peat moss, mycorrhizae, bone meal, blood meal, perlite, kelp meal, fish bone meal, wollastonite, worm castings, basalt rock dust, gypsum dust, alfalfa meal, humic acid, dolomite lime and yucca.

If you check them out on Instagram (@stepwellsoil), they pride in growing huge buds using only water. I'm planning on running that soil, along with my Advanced Nutrients lineup, on a lighter schedule. We'll see.

#17 Cor, Oct 15, 2019 at 7:52 AM
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2019 at 1:38 PM
  18. Trichs

Trichs Germinating
    Let Me Out

That is a hell of a mix!! Going to check them out thanks.

Cor likes this.
  19. Cor

Cor Germinating
    Let Me Out

Day 11

So I've been lazy, and haven't given much attention to the grow over the past few days. Went to check on them today.

I was surprised to find my PH quite high, sitting at a 7.2. I was quick to drop that down to 5.6. It will drift back up.

Oddly enough, the girls don't really seem to mind!

20191016_135346.jpg

Now, I definately see some top growth, so I had to check under my cubes. Sure enough, was happy to find some root activity!

20191016_133611.jpg

I cut pieces from a coco carpet to put under my rockwool cubes when I see roots. I took the pictures after cutting and placing them. It makes me feel like I have a bit more control of the root overgrowth (simply an illusion), but more so the fact that the carpet is so light, these roots are never saturated, therefore always have access to oxygen.

Simply put, you can't drown your plant.

I'll try to be more active, and shame on me for my high PH today! Hahaha

#19 Cor, Oct 16, 2019 at 3:02 PM
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2019 at 4:25 PM